May 23, 2004

Tagliatelle Bolognese ... with tornado.

I don't spend much time cooking, and I normally go to great lengths to avoid setting foot in a grocery store, but when I saw this recipe in the NYT Magazine today, I tore out the page, got in my car, drove to the store, bought all the ingredients on the list, drove home, and immediately put together the meat sauce. As I was checking out with the ingredients and some extra bottles of red wine, the young man behind me in line said, "I want go to your party." So now the sauce is almost done--it needs to cook for 3 hours--and the pasta water is coming to a boil. If there is one food I love it's Bolognese meat sauce. For many years, I've used the recipe in this book. I'm not really looking to replace that fine, fine recipe, but ... YIKES!! The tornado warning just went off!!! Ah, don't worry about me .... I'm well positioned near my basement door and ready to seek shelter if I see some significant wind activity from this vantage point. I'm not going to the basement yet though. Because I'm still hungry.... and I fully intend to eat some pasta if it's the last thing I do.

UPDATE: I'm still alive. The tornado warning is over. And the old recipe is still the best. The new one is fine, but if you want to invest three hours in sauce-making, go with Marcella Hazan's recipe.

No comments: