February 10, 2005

The Ward Churchill controversy comes to Wisconsin.

Personally, I think Churchill is getting way too much attention. As my mother used to say: "You're only encouraging him." Anyway, the big brouhaha comes to Wisconsin -- as Churchill is scheduled to speak at the Whitewater campus on March 1st -- the Badger Herald reports. I like this quote from my colleague Gordon Baldwin:
“[Churchill’s] probably a jackass, but that doesn’t [matter],” Baldwin said. “If he is invited, he’s got a right to speak, but you don’t have a First Amendment right to be respected or to be agreed with.”
I know there's more to the controversy than Churchill's right to speak, but that's the University of Colorado's problem. There, I look askance at UC, not Churchill: Why did they hire and promote him?

No comments: