December 21, 2006

Intermission at the Overture Center.

Outside, there's a mist. The state capitol is enveloped in fog.

Intermission at Overture

Inside, they've projected snowflakes on the wall:

Intermission at Overture

On the night of the solstice, we're reminded of the cold depths that we are not experiencing. But we're here for the concert. It's the intermission, and we're milling around:

Intermission at Overture

We're all here...

Intermission at Overture

To see... Who are we all here to see? What singer would -- just by walking onto the stage -- make your humble diva blogress break down and cry?

It's Judy Collins.

8 comments:

Mark Daniels said...

A whole building just for overtures? Where was the rest of the concert held?

Seriously, how was the concert?

I remember that when my wife and I began dating and fell in love, we listened to 'Colors of the Day: The Best of Judy Collins' constantly. I haven't listened to it in years. But when I read that you had seen her in concert, I immediately thought of one line in a Collins song: "He loves his damned old rodeo as much as he loves me/Someday soon/Going with him, someday soon." She had a voice that could break your heart.

Mark

Peter Patau said...

Elsewhere in Madison our Solstice included Jean Feraca, Robert Frost and making an ice lantern by the side of a dark and thawing lake. With a link to Library of Congress handwritten manuscript of “Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening.” For what it's worth.

Ron said...

That's a very sweet, touching thing to write Ann. Thank you very much for it.

MadisonMan said...

Ann, you chose seeing Judy Collins over the Packers!!?

That's about right.

MadisonMan said...

I don't get the NFL Network so I missed the game.

Plenty of bars in Madison -- I'm sure the former Merck's was packed. I was out Christmas shopping, so I didn't see the Packers or Judy Collins.

JohnF said...

I'm troubled by the snowflakes not being accompanied by a Christmas tree and menorah. This is despicable winterist conduct.

MadisonMan said...

johnf: I think it's more likely an appeal to Mother Nature to get in touch with the calendar. What's all this wet stuff falling from the sky today?

Anonymous said...

Did she ask where those clowns are?