September 3, 2013

Perseverating about shoes before 7 a.m.

Woken by a phone call from the demonic "Blocked," I make coffee at 6 a.m. and sit down to approve the comments that collected in my "awaiting moderation" folder overnight. Somehow that sets me off to writing 5 comments in the thread about shoes. The coffee kicked in spiked by the false sunrise and the poetry it inspired and I got myself retracked onto the front page, where, looking back now, I feel like the blog has a theme today. It's something like: We're always only seeing things from our own point of view. (Dylan lyric: "We always did feel the same/We just saw it from a different point of view.")

So what did I say — about shoes?? — before sanity kicked in at 7? Highlights from the comments:
... there are things you feel you need to do in NYC that you look almost foolish doing around here. I see some young women around campus mincing about on heels when no one else is. There isn't one man around who is dressed to go with that. It's as if she's on her way to a party that exists only in her mind....

Take a good look at yourself in the mirror when you've got your shorts on. Ask yourself if I were a woman, would I fuck me? (The question, put that way, assumes you are not a gay man. If you are a gay man, you don't need advice from me on how you look to other men.)....

I'm vulnerable to the criticism that I've promoted women's shoes that are like little girl shoes and that's inconsistent with saying shorts infantilize men. I'm treading -- in Mary Janes -- on dangerous ground!
Those shoe comments reveal that...
  
pollcode.com free polls 

15 comments:

MadisonMan said...

I am supposed to asseverate when you perseverate?

Sam L. said...

Questions: None Of The Above.

Crunchy Frog said...

I am supposed to asseverate when you perseverate?

No, you are supposed to masturb.

bandmeeting said...

The comments are over on the previous shoe thread, so here we are.
sneakers, and big overhanging shirt make a grown man look like a large boy

OK. We are on the same page here only I would go even further and call them a particularly stupid looking large boy. Oh, yeah, fashion crime. Felony. The big overhanging shirt is a great observation.

The fact is that those Keene's are the footware equivalent of a pair of sweat pants--they are an indication that the person wearing them has never had a clue or has given up on looking stylish. Stylish shoes DO NOT have to be non-sensible. Absolutely not. Tons of really cool stuff that you can wear right out of the store without instant bunions.

FYI if the shoes you just bought bother your feet while riding a bike, you just bought torture devices, not shoes. Aint ain't a lot of stress on the footsies until you get beyond ten miles.

Take a good look at yourself in the mirror when you've got your shorts on. Ask yourself if I were a woman, would I fuck me?

Blush.....Yes. I ride a bike about 5,000 per year hardly drive, walk a fair amount and am (besides my bikers gams) in good shape. I admit that the average American male (and female) is a doughy ball of lipids that should be shrouding themselves in a caftan.

(and I've got shaved legs, yowzah)

Crunchy Frog said...

For once a poll with choices that I can actually choose. Usually it's a choice between AA-approved positions full of sweetness and light, and the other side, horribly mischaracterized, that portray anyone with those views as forces of the devil incarnate.

Althouse really does need to stop reflexively defending her positions in the comments, especially without the benefit of coffee.

(This originally was much a much longer responses, but I decided to stop beating a dead horse - even if the horse was still sorely deserving of it...)

Known Unknown said...

You should stop talking about yourself in the third person. It's annoying.

You're not Karl Malone, you know.

sojerofgod said...

Wow. I didn't think that was a real word. I was all ready to put that in the class of pseudowords like splendiferous or crunk. But then, I suppose that's why I am not a college professor.

MadisonMan said...

@crunchy, I am disinclined to masturb. when the word 'sever' is being used.

Heartless Aztec said...

Men need five pair of shoes for life.

1. Dress shoes of choice.
2. Sperry type boat shoes
3. Tennis shoes
4. Boots
5. Flip flops

Should Be Good for Life.

Anonymous said...

I admit I never thought of looking into the mirror before going out to ask that question. Hmmm, maybe that would have helped me 44 years ago when I was 18.

Hey, Madison Man, I just finished that NYT crossword puzzle, too.

bandmeeting said...

Merrell not Keene.

Johanna Lapp said...

Surfed: Black dress shoes and brown dress shoes. Omit the boots if you live in Fl/Ca. Omit the flipflops if you live in any other state. Omit the boat shoes unless you own a boat.

Ann Althouse said...

"You should stop talking about yourself in the third person. It's annoying."

When I'm offering choices for readers to identify with?

That makes no sense.

ALP said...

Hmmmm...strange things afoot. Is it a coincidence that on the day of this post, I find a catalog from 'hotter' - Britain's Favourite Comfort Shoes - in my mailbox today for the first time?

Its chock full of MARY JANES!

Johanna Lapp said...

I get a Diane von Furstenburg blogad on the Althouse front page today.

You should really do a daily keyword post that's nothing but upscale ad bait. Classes the joint up.