January 24, 2014

Written strangely early in the morning.

A post title that's also a tag here at Althouse.

Am I the only one up at 4 a.m.? When is Daylight Saving Time coming back? I'm pre-adapted to it, a bit ridiculously.

Here's a video Meade took of me skiing down what subjectively feels like a dangerously precipitous decline. The video makes me laugh because — again subjectively, as a viewer of a video — I can barely see that there's any decline at all.

It's surprisingly lovely to get old.

Yesterday, Meade — driving me home after a class that ended at 5:30 — asked me if it was perhaps the 5-year anniversary of our first meeting. I wasn't sure. Why mention anniversaries of things you don't remember the date of? I didn't remember what day it was either, but I was pretty sure it was earlier than January 23rd. The date I remember is February 13th, the second time we met, which was not just a more powerful meeting, but an easier date to remember, it being the day before Valentine's Day. When we got back to the house, I researched the date of the first meeting by searching my blog for "The Wrestler," because that was the movie we saw, and I knew I'd blogged it. I found "10 thoughts about 'The Wrestler,'" none of which have anything to do with Meade, though the post is updated to say: "This post memorializes my first date with Meade, on January 17, 2009."

I should be able to remember that. January 17th was the birthday of my father's father, the grandfather we called Pop.

Ah! Now, I hear Meade walking around on the floor above my work spot. I'm not the only one up anymore.

21 comments:

Ex-prosecutor said...

Make it three of us awake. My black Lab is asleep and snoring.

Charlotte C said...

Not only am I awake, I'm drinking beer! Granted, where I am it's already Friday afternoon and the temperature is well over 100.

Ann Althouse said...

A coffee toast to you, Ululating Umlungu. Hello, Africa.

Michael said...

Nenn awake. Nespresso pumping away.

southcentralpa said...

I dislike Mickey Rourke, but he was robbed at the awards. Marisa Tomei, too (although I love her). They took a hackneyed script, and turned it into compelling drama...

Meade said...

Good morning, bright shining faces. All in your places.

Happy to be alive; ready to shovel snow.

Michael said...

Nice skiing, by the way. Bit more bend in the knees will help.

Ron said...

Been up for quite a while...got some writing done, some biz...had 2 cups of coffee and a muffin. greeted several other folks out to work... and played the 4th movement of the Beethoven 9th! My Friends! Not these Sounds!

MadisonMan said...

I was up then too.

I'm happy it's above zero here. But that wind!

bandmeeting said...

Awake at 3:45.

FleetUSA said...

I hope you and Meade went back to bed for a good "snuggle".

Bob Boyd said...

"It's surprisingly lovely to get old."

It beats the alternative.

Curious George said...

Video is from Odana Golf Course...you are leaving the 14th and end in the right rough on the par 5 15th.

Will said...

Legit hill and nice form. Congrats for getting out and enjoying winter!! I have a friend who does the Birkenbiner XC race up by Hayward WI. There are 15,000 racers. You and Meade should check it out sometime.

Also congratulations on the whole series of anniversaries! Somehow it seems like way more than 5 years. And you're not getting older, you're getting better.

I have always been an early riser. Best time of the day.

heyboom said...

Always up early here in SoCal, but I usually wait until around 1000 to read this blog because it's my favorite and I like to wait until the Professor has posted her most salient subjects.

Video is from Odana Golf Course...you are leaving the 14th and end in the right rough on the par 5 15th.

I moved here to SoCal 28 years ago specifically because I like to use golf courses for what they were designed for...golf!

Ann Althouse said...

"Video is from Odana Golf Course...you are leaving the 14th and end in the right rough on the par 5 15th."

Ha ha. I love the ski tracks at Odana. They are just my level of difficulty, but that one spot is hardest for me.

David said...

The sounds of a happy household. All very quiet sounds.

Zzzzzzzzzzz . . . .

Snort!

Hello, honey.

tim maguire said...

I missed the party here, but I was up a half hour before you (though it was 4:30 where I live, which makes this potential brain-teaser fodder--we were each up a half hour before the other).

Anonymous said...

I am so glad I was aware of your courtship and marriage in 2009. In that year several bad things happened to people in my group of friends and family--serious illness and death types of things. Reading your blog was one of the highlights of 2009 for me.

Anonymous said...

It's also Ben Franklin's birthday, which my husband and I celebrate every year with Turkey, Ben's preference for our national bird. Heh. Happy, uh, belated meeting anniversary.

Ann Althouse said...

I hope things are better for you now, Grundoon.

I really do like to think that my blogging helps people.