December 19, 2004

From the year's person's parents.

Time's Person of the Year issue has an interview with the person's parents, George H.W. Bush and Barbara Bush. (Sorry, I don't have a link for this piece in the new issue of Time.) Two things really struck me. This:
[GEORGE H.W. BUSH] Remember when Ann Richards said George Bush was born with a silver foot in his mouth? And then when George beat her in his first run for Governor--I must say I felt a certain sense of joy that he finally had kind of taken her down. I could go around saying, "We showed her what she could do with that silver foot, where she could stick that now."

MRS. BUSH: Good speech material.

And this (answering the question what was the "low point" of Bush's first term):
BUSH: Michael Moore's got to be the worst for me. I mean, he's such a slimeball and so atrocious. But I love the fact now that the Democrats are not embracing him as theirs anymore. He might not get invited to sit in Jimmy Carter's box [at the Democratic Convention] again. I wanted to get up my nerve to ask Jimmy Carter at the Clinton thing [the opening of Bill Clinton's library], "How did it feel being there with that marvelous friend of yours, Michael Moore?" and I didn't dare do it.

MRS. BUSH: Darn.

BUSH: You can write that if you want. Michael Moore just slandered our family and me.

No comments: