July 14, 2005

"I want to put to rest the speculation and unfounded rumors of my imminent retirement."

Rehnquist speaks!

I am not about to announce my retirement. I will continue to perform my duties as chief justice as long as my health permits.

Okay, then. I guess that's that. That ought to hold off the rumors until maybe sometime next week.

Or, no. Actually, let me personally refuel them by analyzing the statement. He wants to put to rest the rumors: that might only mean he doesn't like us talking about him. He does call the rumors "unfounded," but that might just mean the people who are doing all the talking lack a basis for saying what they are saying, not that what they are saying is not true. And he's not about to announce his retirement. Still, he might be planning to retire but holding off announcing his plan. I can think of some politically strategic reasons he might want to do that. And that last sentence could mean he's planning to stop working any minute now. It's entirely enigmatic.

So, carry on!

4 comments:

Robert said...

Brilliant lawprof Anne:

Not everything is a wordsmithed piece of spin.

He's just saying he's not about to retire. That's all.

But God love you for being such an eagle.

goesh said...

He shall endeavor to persevere - the old Chief needs to step down, but then that would signify the cancer's victory, wouldn't it? He is after all, human and we don't readily admit defeat, not when great goals have been attained in our lives.

I'm Full of Soup said...

Good for Rehnquist- I agree with Goesh's observation. The chief justice does not want to stop. And I would not either.

In another vein, I remember when a SCOTUS judge could fade away quietly and almost unnoticed. It's awful that today there is a veritable deathwatch..."Rehnquist hospitalized for fever".

jeff said...

Both my wife and my response to the "as long as my health permits" comment was, "Oh, next week then."