August 24, 2009

Justice Stevens renews his vows.

"In a stirring display of his commitment to the institution he pledged his life to 34 years ago, Associate Justice John Paul Stevens renewed his vows to the U.S. Supreme Court Tuesday. Entering the courtroom in a long flowing robe, Stevens walked down the aisle toward a misty-eyed Chief Justice John Roberts, who stood waiting to re-administer the oath. 'I, John Paul Stevens, do solemnly swear to faithfully and impartially discharge and perform all the duties incumbent upon me, till death do I part,' declared a radiant Stevens. 'I only wish [late President] Gerald [Ford] could have been here to give me away again.' The ceremony was followed by a modest but elegant reception at the Kennedy Center, where Roberts and the 89-year-old Stevens shared the honorary first dance."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does anyone end up going home with Sotomayor for a hot fling?

Kansas City said...

Hilarious. What better way to tell the old coot he should let go of his grasp on power. The Supreme Court is a disgrace with 8 justices whom you know how they will rule in virtually every case.

But I suppose Stevens hanging on as a dinosour liberal is better than Obama getting a chance to nominate a kid liberal for the next 40 years. It is virtually impossible to see how the court will not remain broke indefinately, subject to the politics of presidential elections and the circumstances of justices collapsing on the job. I would love to see a president say to hell with his base and appoint a brilliant, non-political, real world lawyer or judge to the court. Fat chance.

Chase said...

Lame, especially sad from the Onion, which is so usually good.

That's 1.

Methadras said...

Slow Onion day?

NotWhoIUsedtoBe said...

Retire! My God, retire!

Cedarford said...

John Lynch said...
Retire! My God, retire!


I used to think the same thing.
Now I pray for the good health of this idiot author of Hamdan for the next 3 1/2 years. (there is no international conflict with a so-called enemy called Al Qaeda - therefore, military law is not dominant over US criminal court's and civilian agency's jurisdiction)

I'm pulling for Ruthie, too!

And gosh, oh, gosh, that Scalia, Thomas, Alito, and Roberts outlast THE MESSIAH's Presidency.