February 6, 2011

"Do you think it's gonna be a Packers blowout? Do you see where that could happen?"

Rush Limbaugh asked Ken Hutcherson on Friday's show:
THE HUTCH:  Well, I do.  That's why I was gonna make you promise me that you won't turn the TV off at halftime.

RUSH:  I would never turn the Super Bowl off at halftime no matter what's happening....

THE HUTCH:  ... But if you will notice, why do most advertisers want to advertise on the first half?

RUSH:  Well, Hutch, it's because the women stop watching at halftime.

THE HUTCH: (laughing) No.  Because they know, man, that the Super Bowl has a tendency to be one-sided. We've had some great Super Bowls in the last....

RUSH:  Yeah, but it hasn't been the case in the last five or six years.  This game has gone down to the last play...

THE HUTCH:  But there is a possibility that someone could be put to shame this week. I'm not gonna push, but I believe my Green Bay Packers are gonna come through....
So, Packers win in a blowout, right? Anyway, you see the subject of women came up. It comes up again at the end of the discussion:

RUSH: Hutch, neither the Steelers nor the Packers have cheerleaders.  This is gonna be the first Super Bowl in history, I think, without cheerleaders....

THE HUTCH:  The whole aspect of chickification of the game, I'm proud that finally they did something to keep women off the field....

RUSH:  Tell me how the game's being chickified.  I've got one minute.

THE HUTCH:  Okay.  Look at all of the new rules.  Everything that keeps you from being boys (laughing) they're making you get penalties for.  You can't celebrate, and if you do, you gotta do it alone.  Helmet to helmet. You can't have two vicious of a hook.  That's the game of football, and they're totally feminizing the game, and we're getting a little tired of it.

RUSH:  You think there's gonna be --

THE HUTCH:  Besides, there is a lot more prostate cancer in the world than breast cancer, bro.

RUSH:  I hear you, pal.

THE HUTCH: Let's put some black out there on the field and take care of the guys.

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Packers will vitiate the Steelers.

MadisonMan said...

I will not watch, because it will jinx them. Go Packers!

MikeR said...

I'm not so into sports, though my kids are. I don't follow basketball anyhow. Hope they hit a home run!

Winding down said...

At the end o' da game we'll know. In STEELTOWN the feeling is "Bob's your uncle".

Anonymous said...

I guess that I had assumed that all teams had cheerleaders. Is a lack of cheerleaders a cold climate thing?

(If by women, they mean me, yeah, they're right. I love the hype, the pure unbridled capitalism, the commericals, the beer, and the junk food. The game itself, meh. I'll probably read Althouse during the actual plays.)

- Lyssa

garage mahal said...

I agree with Rick Reilly:

"Aaron Rodgers is MVP. Brett Favre is ignored. It's the equivalent of the girlfriend burning all her ex-fiance's stuff while her new boyfriend drinks his scotch."

29-17 Packers. #7 ends up on his can early and often and throws two picks. One pick-six in the 4th to seal the game by Sam Shields.

Peter Friedman said...

The Steelers' defense will smother Rodgers' passing game, dare the Pack to run, and win by grinding down Green Bay. Much as I hate the Steelers (a Browns' fan, alas), I gotta respect them.

No cheerleaders in Cleveland either.

roesch-voltaire said...

I will make the safe bet and hope the Pack wins by three, just beating the line. There will be a lot of pressure on both quarter backs; I just hope all the hits are legal.

Unknown said...

The Super Bowl, almost always, is the worst game of the year. Blowout almost from the coin toss.

As for cheerleaders, it's an open stadium in cold climates thing.

Can you imagine Althouse doing a sis-boom-bah in panties and a shell top at Lambeau Field on a day like this?

AllenS said...

I haven't been to a Packers game since 2002. Google "Packers cheerleaders" turns up evidence of a cheerleading squad. They used to have cheerleaders.

Unknown said...

Wrong, Rush! I always watch the last half because then I know how it turns out.

chickelit said...

Calling it a blow-out already at this point is pure bravado and swagger.

Go Pack!

wv = tohype That's right to predict blow-out is to hype.

sunsong said...

I'm not football fan. Never really learned about it. But I know the Superbowl is, as Biden would put it, "a fucking big deal" :-)

Good luck to the Packers!

ricpic said...

Prettier costume wins!

David said...

Grew up in Pittsburgh, raised my own kids in Wisconsin.

I win either way.

It all depends on Starks and the Packer O Line.

HT said...

People who say the Super Bowls are blow outs haven't been watching the last few years.

I won't be watching this one as in all likelihood I'll be riding the rails.

I am not such a fan of the Steelers qb therefore i think there's more than a possibility that they'll win.

Trooper York said...

Well he has it half right.

The Packers are gonna blow.

Just sayn'

kjbe said...

BTW, the Packers currently do have cheerleaders. I believe they're from St Norbert's. The team is just not bringing them down to Dallas. They went to NOLA in '97.

MM, if you truly are a Cooler, please stay away. Thanks :)

Anthony said...

"People who say the Super Bowls are blow outs haven't been watching the last few years. "

Yeah, the last few have been pretty good. Last year's wasn't very close, but Pittsburgh-Az went down to the last couple minutes and the remainder of the last decade have had some close ones, too. Basically it was the '90s and much of the '80s that had all the blowouts.

Not that I watch. I'm not that into pro ball anyway, and after the Rose Bowl my interest in football wanes rather dramatically.

The Crack Emcee said...

"Read more"

Yea, right.

MadisonMan,

I will not watch, because it will jinx them.

That type of superstitious nonsense (and crap like Cheesehead wine) are precisely why the Packers will lose. It's been feminized.

Wisconsin is no longer dealing with reality.

Anonymous said...

"Prettier costume wins!"

I'm still hoping Ann will write her post-game post in the style of the Manolo and only talk about the various fashion aspects.

Original Mike said...

I don't do predictions. If I do, and then my team loses, I feel guilty.

Original Mike said...

Allen is right. They used to have cheerleaders.

garage mahal said...

Make better predictions.

garage mahal said...

Just kidding.

traditionalguy said...

The Steelers are unable to have cheerleaders and Rothlesberger at the same time. Choices, choices. The Packers have none either since Favre was always lurking by the team copier. Choices, choices. In Iceland this would be no problem.